Burns Federation No  458

David Barclay first bought Ury estate from the Earl Marischals in 1648. He was a noted soldier in the Swedish Army at the battle of Lutzen, against the Germans.

The Barclays continued to run the estate until the mid 1850s . The most notable of the lairds was Robert Barclay (1731–1797) who was a great improver of the estate and laid out the plan of Stonehaven to the North of the Carron Water. Most of the streets were named after members of his family, David Street, Allardice Street,  Mary Street,  Margaret Street,  Anne Street, Robert Street and Gurney Street and of course Barclay Street.

His son (also Robert)  married an Allardice from Allardice, near Inverbervie, and adopted the name “Barclay-Allardice”. A captain in the army,  he was also famous for feats of endurance e.g. walking 100 miles in 19.5 hours, and walking one mile every hour for 1000 consecutive hours. He also drove his “Defiance” Coach from London to Aberdeen, never leaving the driving seat, but just having the horses changed at every stage. All these feats were for wagers - which he always won.


Lands of the Bard’s Forebears (Burnes)

In times past, Burnes (Burness, Burnece, Burnas, Burnase and other variants)  was a common name in this area.  As far back as 1547, when Inchbreck,  part of Glenbervie estate, was sold,  there were Burnes recorded in the tenants roll. The poet dropped the ‘e’ from his surname following his father’s death


Elfhill


Proceeding now along the Auchenblae Road one comes to the farm of Elfhill.

 

 Robert Burns’s Great uncle George was tenant  here. James Burnes, (poet’s great grandfather) in his will of 14 June 1740, left 100 merks to each of his sons, including  “George in Elfhill”



back

Page 5 Page 3

Continue your journey